Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MIRA COSTA COLLEGE AWARD

By Shirley M. Carolan

Last Saturday, April 25, 2009, I, along with many others celebrated the Annual "EXPRESSIONS" Awards from Mira Costa College. Many art caategories were honored, from poets, writers, digital works, and beautiful drawings and sketches by continuing education students. Our work can now be seen published in the Spring 2009 "Expressions" yearbook from Mira Costa College.

It was a very festive day with artists, friends, colleagues, teachers, and scrumptuous refreshments. I feel so honored that my work was selected and that I got to read it in front of a live audience. Following is my poem. I hope you enjoy it too!

HOME AGAIN, HOME AGAIN
By Shirley M. Carolan


Home again, home again
That’s where I long to be
In the land that bore me
And gave me liberty

Oh, it’s been a long time since I left
That ancestral land
Whose noble virtues
Molded my character and dreams
Whose history saw the Magna Carta
Signed by the king at Runnymede

Oh yes, the New World is
Full of opportunities
and changes everywhere
‘Tis a place of new beginnings
and scenery beyond compare

But it’s home again, home again
To that isle across the sea …
For I’ve done my duty,
And long to rest my bones again
In the English countryside
In quiet anonymity!


Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Writer ● Artist ● Speaker
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663
http://www.shirleycarolan.com
http://www.angelscross.blogspot.com
http://www.smcarolan.blogspot.com

Copyright© 2009 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.

No comments: