Sunday, August 30, 2009

SHINGLES? WHAT’S THAT YOU’VE GOT?

By Shirley M. Carolan


As summer comes to a roaring end I, too, feel like I’m going up in flames and itching. I thought shingles was for young people, not senior citizens like me! I can’t repeat what the last two weeks have been like – agony, the tortures of the damned! Why try to be poetic about it, it’s been pure hell.

Yes, I’ve been under a bit of stress but this is ridiculous. Who doesn’t have some stress today? What started out as excruciating chest pains, like someone was turning my lungs inside out finally evolved into a full blown case of shingles! Ugly brown blisters that itched and burned simultaneously.

Be compassionate to anyone you know with this illness. It is not for cissies. I’ve not felt like cooking or eating so my doctor suggested I buy “Ensure” a drink with lots of vitamins, etc. If you can take your friend with shingles a home cooked meal, by all means do so. You will be reaped with eternal gratitude. Better yet, if you can walk the person’s dog, by all means offer. My little Shih-Tzu just doesn’t understand. I try to explain it to her but she just looks at me with those big brown eyes and cocks her head.

Just as I was getting ready for teaching my classes “Journaling for Success” and “The Dynamics of Goal Setting” at the new Oceanside Senior Center I get hit with this. This week should see a turning point in my battle with shingles!

Meanwhile, please keep me in your prayers! Thanks.

Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Speaker ● Writer ● Artist
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663
http://www.shirleycarolan.com
http://www.angelscross.blogspot.com
http://www.smcarolan.blogspot.com

Copyright© 2009 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.

No comments: