Tuesday, November 16, 2010

FUN WITH GENEALOGY!

By Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG

I must confess I have a new addiction – GENEALOGY! Last weekend I spent time at the Georgina Cole Library and the Carlsbad City Council Chambers in Carlsbad, California. Saturday included a 9 AM-3 PM seminar “Beginner & Refresher Genealogy Class “ presented by the North San Diego County Genealogical Society. Speakers included Margaret Reid and Marti Meiners. Topics included: Getting Started, Record Keeping, Census Records, Wills & Probate, Land Records By the end of the day I was hooked on genealogy!

What was even more amazing is that there was no fee or tuition for this seminar! Yet we had so much information given to us by experts, including brightly colored packages with pages of resources and references. There was only a small “donation” jar at the back of the room if we wanted to use it.

These dedicated women used a Power Point presentation of slides to give us even more information and examples of how to go about finding out who are ancestors were.. To say it was fascinating is an understatement.

On Sunday, we were graciously invited back to the Carlsbad Library by Margaret Read to learn how to access computer/on line databases/sites available to the general public to do further research. The entire upper floor of the library is dedicated to geneology: Books, CDs, computers, printers, reference desk, maps, etc. Perhaps the most exciting thing I discovered is that I can access all the databases at the Library with my Carlsbad library card, at no charge, from the comforts of my home! This saves multiple trips over to the library, wear and tear on my car and gasoline savings! It also means I can be at this 24/7. H’m, now is that addicting or not?

By the end of the weekend I joined the North San Diego County Genealogical Society for only $25.00 membership. I am also thinking of investigating The Daughters of the British Empire (DBE) since I was born in London, England. They are very active here in North County. If you are American born you might like to check out The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).

I hope I’ve spiked your interest to investigate your ancestors! For more information on all the classes, seminars, speakers etc. contact the Carlsbad City Library Genealogy Desk: 760-434- 2931, or www.carlsbadlibrary.org.

Happy Hunting

Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Writer ● Speaker ● Artist
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663
http://www.shirleycarolan.com
http://www.angelscross.blogspot.com
http://www.smcarolan.blogspot.com

Copyright© 2010 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.

No comments: