Monday, July 30, 2012

LONG LIVE THE OLYMPICS!

By Shirley Carolan, ATMG

Every four years we are treated to the world’s finest athletes from all over the world competing against each other, from older countries to the newly emerging ones. It doesn’t matter which country you are from or which country you are rooting for because there’s something for everyone. Maybe you have a favorite sport, or a favorite athlete, that you want to see bring home the gold medal… sometimes the waiting can be agony.

I love swimming, gymnastics, tennis and watching these male and female athletes compete and am so grateful they opened the 2012 Olympics in London. I don’t miss the crowds or traffic at all. I’m just happy I can watch it all on my TV and record it and replay it at my leisure. Yes, there were a few upsets in the men’s swimming events. Unfortunately, Michael Phelphs did not live up to his reputation but that is no reason for the press to castigate or ridicule him! I get so angry when I hear or read reporters get on his case. He has already won 14 Gold medals in his career and he is still a great athlete after all, and has been competing since he was 15 years old. My heart goes out to him knowing how devastated he must feel.

However, Ryan Lochte and Dana Vollmer not only won Gold medals for the USA but also set world records in their respective events. Way to go USA! It was also nice to see the host country’s (Britain) Rebecca Adlington win the Bronze medal – the first swimming medal of the games!

The opening Friday night was a little long and “heavy” for my taste -- I don’t know why countries feel they have to outdo each other in spending on fireworks, displays, unique skits, etc. when they selected as the host country for the Games. I truly don’t care about any of that. I am more interested in watching the Games and the athletes perform and win.

I could go on but I don’t want to miss anything from these wonderful Games. So, it’s back to the telly and gymnastics for me!

Enjoy the games!

Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Writer ● Speaker ● Artist
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663
http://www.shirleycarolan.com
http://www.angelscross.blogspot.com
http://www.smcarolan.blogspot.com

Copyright© 2012 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.















No comments: