Sunday, March 03, 2013

HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL


By Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG

It is so good to be home from the hospital and enjoying my home, garden, and precious little cockapoodle – Teddy!!  He was what I missed most and since it was the first time we had been separated since I got him 2.5 years ago, I was concerned as to how he would survive in new temporary surroundings.

As it turned out I need not have worried.  He was staying with friends of friends as a last minute resource.  Others had said they’d take care of Teddy for me, but unfortunately none of them came through.  When push came to shove, I pulled out all the stops and called the wonderful computer repairer, Dave Russell whom I’d just done business with.  He had said he had a dog and perhaps that’s why Teddy was barking at him when he came to fix my computer.  I asked him if he knew anyone who would take Teddy in as I was expecting an ambulance to rush me to the hospital at any minute.  He said did have a friend who might be willing to take Teddy but she had two small dogs of her own. 

Don’t you know when Dave took me to pick Teddy up days later, the little bugger was thoroughly enjoying himself.  He was sitting on the owner’s lap and playing happily with the other two dogs.  He was totally oblivious to me.  I truly thanked God for this unexpected outcome and realized how powerful prayer and faith can be in a time of crises. 

While in the hospital I did a lot of meditating and I finished the book “Reset” by Stephen Kinzer about the future of the Middle East, the many countries involved, and America’s possible future role in it.  I learned so much about history, geography, politics, mind sets, etc.  A truly engrossing and well worth reading book.  I will keep it as a reference and know I’ll reread chapters again.

I will be writing shortly about some of the meditating I did and how I view my life today.  I realize now how useless it is to beat up on myself for things I didn’t do, golden opportunities missed, blaming others for outcomes, regretting relationships never pursued, etc.  As a result, I feel like I am finally travelling “lighter” and getting rid of some of the emotional clutter that I’ve allowed to define me!

 Maybe the trip to the hospital with complications from pneumonia was really a blessing in disguise?  H'm.... Stay tuned.


Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Writer ● Speaker ● Artist
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663

Copyright© 2013 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.





No comments: