Saturday, January 31, 2009

IS CUSTOMER SERVICE DEAD? – cont’d

By Shirley M. Carolan, ATM-G

Maybe customer service is not dead after all but it’s certainly dormant in many cases. If you’ve ever experienced poor customer service from a company or institution that supposedly prides itself on good customer relations then you have a right to complain and let them know how you feel. Obviously, it pays to be clearheaded when you decide to let the “violators” know precisely what, when, where, how, who, happened, etc.

Last November I experienced very poor customer service at a local hospital, where I was rushed by paramedics in the early evening hours after a severe fall, requiring x-rays and medical treatment. The discharge was very sloppy, uncaring, and traumatic.

When I later received a letter from them asking me to complete a “patient satisfaction survey” on how well they performed their jobs, I decided to be honest and share what I experienced which meant reliving a painful experience. I thought that would be the end of it.

Lo and behold, on Friday, January 30, 2009, I received a phone call from Mike DeMott, Director of Performance Improvement at Tri City Hospital. He apologized profusely for the staff’s behavior. He also said he would like to read my letter aloud to the medical and office staff at their next meeting. He said it will go a long way to improve their customer relations since it was an actual experience and not a textbook lesson.

I told Mr. DeMott that since the survey wanted me to express my opinions honestly, and that they would be confidential I chose to answer it. I also thanked him for calling and expressing his concern and offering an apology again for the staff’s inadequate behavior.

This episode has restored my faith in this hospital. It wasn’t the first time I’ve received emergency medical treatment there and, it may not be the last. Now, I am over my misgivings and grateful that I took action.

Maybe that’s the lesson to learn – when you encounter bad or rude customer service speak up and let the powers to-be know about it!

Shirley M. Carolan, ATMG
Speaker ● Writer ● Artist
artistwithaflair@att.net
Phone/Fax: 760-732-0663
http://www.shirleycarolan.com
http://www.angelscross.blogspot.com
http://www.smcarolan.blogspot.com

Copyright© 2008 by Shirley M. Carolan. All rights reserved. To reprint any part of this article simply contact Shirley Carolan at artistwithaflair@att.net. Thank you.

No comments: